Survey of Garda Personnel
The Commission has recently been engaged in a consultation process in which we invited written submissions and met with communities at a number of public meetings around the country. We have also met with personnel of An Garda Síochána through visits to garda stations. This has provided us with valuable context and input for our work. We are reflecting on the issues raised with us during that consultation process and we thank all those we met for their openness in engaging with us and for the valuable input provided.
We would now like to build on the insights we gained and the submissions received by offering all personnel of An Garda Síochána the opportunity to contribute further to our process. To do this, we have issued a brief online questionnaire to all Garda staff through the Garda Portal.
The questionnaire went live on Wednesday, 14th March and will remain open and accessible to all Garda personnel until the end of Wednesday, 28th March.
Set out below are the subject matters and questions which we have asked to be completed.
The community voice in policing
- In your experience, how well are the community's priorities reflected in policing practice?
- Based on your experience, what changes could be made to allow you to serve your community better?
- Based on your experience, what changes could be made to enhance community input into policing at a local level?
Partnerships with other agencies
- The work of An Garda Síochana relies on effective partnership with other agencies (eg health, social services etc.). In your experience, how well is this currently working?
- Based on your experiences, what improvements, if any, would you suggest?
Training and development
- How well trained do you feel you are for your job?
- What training would support you most in your day-to-day work?
- What are the main challenges you face in your career development?
- What training would support you most in your professional development?
- How well are you supported in your work by technology?
- What single technological support or tool would make most difference to your job?
- What do you most value about your job?
- Please add any further comments you may wish to make.